Sunday, January 13, 2008

Baganz Weekend News Report

Fun stuff abounds here around the Baganz house.....first and foremost the Baganz travel agency is open for business.....well open for the Baganz family that is and I've been in full-on research mode for where we want to go this year. I am super excited to have booked an awesome looking place in the Dordogne Valley of France (http://www.lepetit-manoir.fr/welcome.htm) and we've reserved plane tickets for southern Spain in May. Oh boy. We're also hoping to venture over to Germany towards the end of the month to visit the Newschwanstein Castle, which is supposed to be Disney's inspiration (pic below). Check out the "Maps of Our Travels" links to see where we hope to go!

Yesterday we went to the swim center down the road. It's always such a struggle to get Chance dressed, everything packed up, and out the door.....by that time I'm usually already in a bad mood! But once we get there moods change and it is always such a good time. This place has 5 indoor pools....3 of which are shallow enough for Chance to stand in....and 2 great water slides (like big waterpark type slides) that are so perfect for him cause they don't dump in to the pool. They just have shallow endings so Chance can brave them alone. Since Chance has turned 4, his attitude has changed and he thinks he can do so many more things "now that he is 4". So, now that he is 4, he is big enough and brave enough to go down the fast "Snake Slide", as he calls it. The snake slide is completely covered, and pretty intimidating when you walk up to it. The water rushed out from the back of the slide very srongly and it's very dark inside. By the end of the day yesterday, Chance was doing the snake slide by himslef over and over, the kid probably climbed 200 flights of stairs to do it so many times. Ryan and I just stood there and let him do it over and over. He's getting much more comfortable in the water which makes me happy. Hopefully when we start swim lessons back again at the end of the month, progress will be more rapid.

Last night Ryan and I got a sitter and he took me out on a date. I love going on dates. We went over to SihlCity...and new shopping complex with an amazing movie theater and one of my favorite Italian restaurants. Before the movie we had dinner, then ventured over to the Gelato place to reward me for being officially off all things sugar and wheat for 2 weeks. I am hoping that this change in blood sugar will prevent so many migraines. We'll see. So, 2 weeks in and I'm plugging along strong, but I just had to celebrate. We looked pretty ridiculous sitting out in the mall with our outlandishly large ice creams. Ryan had tasted the Cherry, then decided instead on the mint chocolate chip, but something got lost in the translation and the lady handed him a cherry cone. He corrected her, and so she gave him the cherry cone for free and the mint chocolate chip as he had asked for. I ordered some massive 3 scoop bowl complete with massive whip cream and adornments.....enough for 2 really. So there we were sitting in the mall eating our ice cream amongst the Swissies who have small portions....me with my massive ice cream, and Ryan licking 2 ice cream cones. I am sure we got some looks. But it sure was yummy! We saw American Gangster, which I'd highly recommend. I think when we move back the movie going experience will never live up. The place is spotless, no sticky or stinky floors. The seats are huge and very comfortable, and when you get your tickets, you choose from a screen which seats you want. So, when they print your tickets you have your reserved seat number to tell you where to sit. The other brilliant thing about Swiss theaters is the intermission. It's about a 10 minute break and I think if the US theaters would catch on to this, they'd double their concession sales. And it's nice to be able to run and go pee!

So, today we might be going to walk with the penguins. At 1:30 everyday at the zoo the penguins get to go out for a little walk about the zoo and you can walk up close and personal with the penguins. Here's a picture from the zoo website. We'll see if I can get motivated enough to get these boys dressed and out of the house!