Friday, December 19, 2008

White Christmas Update

There's been a lot going on in the last couple weeks, and I've been a post slacker! My mom was supposed to arrive today but her plane was unable to get out of Austin cause of fog, so she will come tomorrow. I'll have to ask Pappy about this......why does fog hinder flights? Planes can fly through the dark, why not thru the fog?

Here in Zurich, it's been a very white Christmas season lately. Since we didn't get much snow growing up in Austin, everyday that I walk outside and see it is like seeing it for the first time. It's so beautiful how it lays across the tree limbs, blankets the ground and makes the forests sparkle. Check out my favorite Japanese Maple tree that you see when you walk out my front door. It's normally bright red with leaves! Yesterday we were walking to school and I could open my mouth and it just poured in (luckily the Swiss air is fairly clean, no acid snow here hopefully!). Chance loves it too, which makes morning commutes interesting to say the least. We are constantly stopping to stomp, roll or jump in the snow, touch it, throw snow balls, you name it. I've finally realized the importance of having him wear snow pants on top of his school clothes. Funny how it's taken me awhile to figure that one out! We're on the platform here just having gotten off the train on the way to school...

Here's a little taste of our commute. Chance is standing just outside the train station where we get off to walk down the long side walk to school. You can see the edge of his school building in the top left of the picture...it's a long walk when you're constantly trying to get the munchkin to stop playing and start walking!

I thought this picture of a stream that we walk past was so beautiful.

Yummy. Just don't pick up the yellow snow.

Last Friday, Chance had his school Winter Show. He had a very small part in which his class sang a couple songs. There was a story line that went something like...the kids were mad cause they couldn't have a snow ball fight, so they sang this song. Sorry, you'll have to tilt your head until I can figure out how to rotate the video. Chance is in the red and black hat.

After the show, we jumped in our rental car and headed for Geneva to spend the night with our friends Josh and Katherine.

Saturday morning we drove to Chamonix. Josh and Ryan headed straight for the slopes and Katherine, Chance and I attempted to stroll around the town. We did some window shopping but mostly tried to keep Chance out of too much trouble. Saturday night we went to a very nice dinner and Sunday were hoping for the beautiful weather that Saturday brought. Much to our dismay Sunday was very windy and so basically the whole town shut down. Katherine and I had high hopes of trying out snow shoeing, but after our Saturday inquiries about a guide, we decided otherwise. We asked about hiring a guide vs doing it ourselves, and from what we could make out from several people's broken English......there was quite a risk of avalanches. I thought it best to preserve my life and not go with the risk of death. But the bad weather wouldn't have let us go anyway, and I was also disappointed that the lift to the Mont Blanc panoramic was closed. So we made it all the way to Chamonix to see Mt. Blanc and I never got to see it! So it goes I guess. But it was still fun to see our friends and get out of town for the weekend.
We wish everyone a very MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!!!! WE love you and miss you!