Tuesday, December 15, 2009

No Books For Me

We started reading books to Chance in the rocking chair at a very young age. I believe it was around 3 months of age that he'd sit in my lap and just stare at the pages as I'd read to him before every naptime and bedtime. At 6 months, we had read so much he was pointing at objects that I would call out. And to this day the boy loves to read, and does it really well.

Now with a second child, I am constantly reminded of their individuality. Brooks associates the rocking chair with going to sleep. The instant you sit him in that chair he starts flailing his hands with anxiety, and smacking his lips, like somebody please find my nuky fast so that I can start to soothe myself about this awful situation. Funny thing is he loves his bed and doesnt mind going to sleep, it's just the anticipation of it.

Ole Chance, is always wanting to be involved and do things for Brooks. Yesterday he asked if he could read books to him and I let him have a go. It went something like this:

Oh That's Sort of Interesting


OH NO, I just realized I am in THIS CHAIR AGAIN

GET ME OUT, NOW

Funny thing was, Chance didnt seem to notice that Brooks was in dire distress. He just kept reading louder and louder as the screams got louder and louder. For a moment, it was so amusing I just sat there and let it happen. And then of course, I rescued the poor child from reading torture. Perhaps we'll try again another day, on the couch.