Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Learning the Ways of the World

With Chance turning 6, I've encountered a new chapter in parenting that I have to admit I wasn't prepared for: the awareness of self. In the last couple months, Chance has changed from an uninhibited kid, completey unaware of himself, to one that gets embarrased, cares what he looks like, doesn't want to perform at school in front of others (sorry Chance, you get that one from me), and the list goes on. He's morphed in to a sensitive little being, and this is a tough one for me. I've gotta say it's much easier at this time to be a milk cow than a psychologist. It's way too complicated for this overtired overoxitosed mommy brain. But we're taking it day by day.

So I hear quite frequently, that apparently adulthood can't come fast enough for Chance. Rules are "stupid" (note to other parents: letting your 6 year old watch Harry Potter is really a bad idea unless you want them to adopt words that are really not so pleasant) and if he could only be an adult, then he would have no rules. And he could shave like daddy.....although we have to eventually break him the news that he won't have to shave his forehead.



He begged me this morning to PLEASE not let him go to school tomorrow. He HATES going to school on Thursdays and really, he's just not feeling well and he will be much sicker tomorrow. Long story short, finally I drag out of him the fact that he got his name on the board, which apparently stays there all week. And on Thursday, he has German class in his room with kids from another class who haven't yet seen that his name is on the board. And heaven forbid should that mean kid see his name on the board, he will say to Chance......"Chance Chance poo poo pants, he he you got your name on the board". I didn't say a word about him about my disappointment in his name being there, I thought poo poo pants would be punishment enough. But nonetheless I did ask the teacher to look out for bullying, and hopefully this will be a lesson in not screwing around in the hallways anymore. See what I mean, it's complicated.

And anyone that spends any amount of time with Chance, will in a very short period come to learn that he has a LOT of money. Actually, this is the one aspect in his life that he doesn't exaggerate on. The kid has been saving his allowance since we started the "lay away for a wii" program back when he was four. He knew back then he wanted to buy a wii when we move back to Texas, and the boy has been saving ever since, and he's got the funds to go and buy one now. So, I told him that I'd have to take his 20 pound box of change to the bank to deposit all the francs, and when we got to Texas I would give him dollars for it. He asked...."will the bank make sure to put the money on the bottom of the plane so it's there when we get to Texas?"